Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day #316 - South Pacific Tour

When Joel and I were in my dad's choir in college, we went on a tour to Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand. This tour was a very special trip for me for many reasons. The blessings from that tour have had long-lasting and far-reaching affects on me and my life. Traveling with my dad was very memorable. We became very close and I grew to love and respect my dad so much more. Being involved in so much music and service was amazing. My love for the people in the pacific grew so much. My testimony grew in leaps and bounds as well.

The main reason why I am grateful for the tour is that I was able to see the remote island of Tongatapu where my husband grew up. Joel spent 10 years of his growing up there. It is a huge part of who he is, and I never would have known or understood that part of him unless I had witnessed it for myself. Joel was able to show me the homes he lived in, the schools he attended, his grandparents' home, the Temple, the church school where his dad worked, his favorite beaches and jumping spots into the ocean and more. I got a great feeling for the place, the culture and the lifestyle. I learned so much and got a great new perspective on Joel and his family. What a great blessing! We hope to take the kids back one day for a visit.

No comments: