Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day #308 - Talents

Sometimes I find myself wishing I was something I am not. I see people around me who are so good at doing things that I am bad at. I took piano lessons for many years, but never got good at it. I cook for my family, but it's not exactly. . . great. The list goes on and on. I find myself comparing and wanting the talents and gifts others have. But then I remind myself that the world would be such a boring place if we all had the same gifts. I love the scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants (42:12):

"For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby."

This has always served as a good reminder to me that each of us has gifts given to us as a way to bless EVERYONE. I share my own talents to hopefully benefit others and I definitely am blessed every day by the gifts of those around me. So rather than wish for what they have, I try to be grateful for the gifts that I have been given.

1 comment:

Hoku said...

I was always so MOVED by your and Joel's gift for singing! (I hope Heavenly Father will grant me with a better voice in the next life.) In the meantime, I think everyone does the same thing from time to time.

Today in sacrament meeting a talk was given on service and the speaker emphasized how Heavenly Father recognizes the INTENT - even if the person we go to visit teach doesn't let us come by, or our well-intending dinner burns, or a neighbor doesn't appreciate our service.