Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day #304 - Utah

I can't believe I am saying this . . . but I am grateful to live in UTAH. Joel and I never planned to raise our family here. The first time we tried to live in Utah, we returned back to Hawaii in less than a year. The cold was a big shock to us.

This second time around has been much better. Utah has proven to be a family-friendly and surprisingly beautiful place (different beauty than tropical Hawaii). I am finally starting to get why people miss the four seasons when they move to Hawaii. You feel time pass as the world around you changes. The holidays are also more memorable and enjoyable. For example Valentine's is such a huge bright spot in the middle of snowy, cold, Februrary. Labor Day is like the last opportunity for warm summer fun. The 4th of July is blazing hot, but it is welcome after a cold wet spring.

Living near so many Mormons has its pros and cons. But I have loved it. Most places and people feel friendly and familiar. Deseret Book, the temples, D.I. etc. It's great to be so close to everything.

You can't beat living so close to so much FAMILY as well!! I have loved this. Growing up in Hawaii my family did not see extended family very often. So holidays were not celebrated with grandparents and aunts and uncles. But my kids are experiencing the holidays (and every day life) in a totally different way. I am very grateful for that.

No comments: