Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day #31 The Beach/Ocean


Present opening was happy and full of cheer this morning. Lily was determined to eat all of her chocolate and that of anyone else willing to share. She is also a professional present-opener now (after having a birthday and christmas so close together).




We spent a portion of our Christmas on the beach today. As I was sitting watching Anna attempting to boogie board in the surf, I felt great gratitude for the beach. I don't think I always appreciated it when I lived here. Here are some of the reasons why I feel grateful:

It is always beautiful to look at (no matter what the weather).
The sounds are so calming and peaceful.
The colors are so vibrant and ever changing.
The sky feels open and close to you.
My bare feet touch the sand and the water, bringing me closer to nature and the earth than I ever get doing anything else.
On a sunny day, the sun feels so warm.

I know that I am not a poet, but I feel the need to express my appreciation. It was such a beautiful Christmas Day for us. One that will provide many "warm" memories for the coming months of winter.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Glad you guys got to spend a little time in paradise. We'll be there in January and I CANNOT wait to see baby boy digging his toes in the sand. There is something magical about getting to share favorite things with our babes. Merry Christmas Kongaikas!

Quincy said...

Your post today made me cry. Your words are very poignant. Thank you for writing Meilani!

Hoku said...

LOVE that! Wished that I had let you give me some tips on blogging but I wanted to savor all our time and just talk story. Told my grandma about you guys' visiting and she had so many good things to say about you and Joel (of course things I'd mentioned over the years). She said she's going to pray really hard for your family and expressed to never give up for a miracle. Love you guys!