Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day #17 Little Experience, Big Lesson

I wanted to share two experiences, one funny one from about ten years ago and another that happened today.

When I returned from my mission I remember being over at Joel's house. He was showing me a video of some new opera singer that was very popular. I watched for a little while, then I remember saying to Joel, "I hate it when singers close their eyes. It's so lame." Joel's sheepishly turned to me and said, "He's blind." (Yes. It was Andrea Bocelli) Ha ha.

Today a friend and I were in a locker room. The way the lockers work, there are three per changing stall. So if your stall is occupied, you have to wait. Well, my friend's was occupied, so we had to wait nearby. We were waiting quite a while for the other woman to change and leave when I started to make very quiet remarks like, "what could she be doing in there" and "who knows why she is taking so long." You know, just between friends. Not trying to be rude. Just making remarks. Well, the door opened, but the girl remained seated inside. Again, I couldn't help but think, "Gee. How irritating that we have to sit here and wait." Well, a few minutes later, a girl came out of the next stall and pushed opened her friend's stall door and helped her stand up. It became very obvious that she could not walk on her own.

Of all people, you think I would have had the understanding heart to give her the benefit of the doubt. Lesson learned: Give people the benefit of the doubt. You never know what may be going on in their life. I sure hope that other people will do the same for me, for my daughter and for my family.

No comments: