Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day #236 - James

We attended the birthday party of my little niece, Esther a few days ago. My children all had a great time playing in the backyard while the adults enjoyed the food and company. The backyard we were in has a beautiful little stream-like fountain where the children love to put their feet in and walk up and down. During the party some of the kids got a hold of a bucket of light-weight balls. They started throwing them in at the top of the stream and watched them float down to the bottom. Lily saw all of this and wanted to play as well. Very quickly a cousin on the other side of the family, James (who is five years old) noticed that Lily liked throwing the balls. But from her wheelchair she had no way of retrieving them. So he began a little mission to make it possible for her to enjoy the activity. He spent at least thirty minutes handing her balls and retrieving them. As I watched this all unfold, I felt very touched by his willingness help and include her.

1 comment:

RATCH said...

Thank you for sharing this. It totally made me tear up. He is such a good sweet boy with a big heart and somehow I completely missed this at the party so I loved reading about it.