
Despite all of the challenges that come with a child who needs complex medical care, we all feel grateful that Lily is a part of our family. In fact, she has made our family more full of love and happiness. I will not deny that there has been a monumental amount of stress added to our lives as well, but the joys outweigh the difficulties.
When we were told that Lily was going to have spina bifida at 18 weeks of pregnancy, we were shocked and saddened. In those early moments of shock a genetics counselor handed us literature about "not going forward with our pregnancy." A lot of families in our same situation are given this option. I was blunt about how we were going to handle this. I think Joel was surprised by my fierce reaction, because he didn't fully understand what the woman was offering us. I just flatly said, "Abortion is not an option." My OBGYN reacted very emotionally to our daughter's diagnosis and tried to convince us on three separate occasions to abort. She could not understand why anyone would choose to bring this kind of child into the world (we later found out that she was also very misinformed about spina bifida). I am grateful that we chose to stand by her as she was. Today we continue to do the same. People can make all kinds of assumptions about a child's "quality of life" and the value of a child born with so many "limitations." But that's all that they are, assumptions and speculations. Lily is living proof that life is valuable and precious and can be lived happily in the face of difficulty. We love her and again are grateful for her presence in our family.



7 comments:
This post made me cry. What a beautiful and amazing girl she is! I love all you thankful posts by the way.
Yes-great post!!! She is such a special part of your family and knowing you guys, I couldn't even imagine you with out your beautiful Lily!!! it is crazy that people can still be so misinformed about various disabilities, etc. I love Lily and am so glad that I get to see her often!
That was so beautiful, Meilani. Such tender, amazing words from the mother of such an incredible little girl. When I think of Lily I think of joy and determination. I can just see her enthusiasm for life, and it is inspiring. You are an amazing woman to love her and support her and encourage her the way you do. You inspire me, too! We are so glad to know you and sweet little Lily!
Dear Family,
I admire your strength and faith. When our grandson was born without all the bones in his legs and feet, we were shocked and saddened. When the geneticsis dr. finished all the tests, she told us we might never know what caused his 3 anomolies. I had a very strong message given to me by the spirit as soon as the doc left the room. I was told that Nicholas and Heavenly Father had chosen this. I was also told that Nicholas had chosen me and my daughter. He was sent to teach us many things. He was not the handicapped one, we were. He definetly has a strong spirit around him. God bless you for your strength and example in loving that special spirit. Love, Joyce Pettingill--Kelly Nordfelt's mom.
What beautiful family pictures (a direct result of having a beautiful family). I love reading about the happenings of your family and love the gratitude project. I am grateful for you in my life.
And can you imagine your life without little Lily? I bet a lot of people HAVE aborted even because of misconseptions or having doctors that may be misinformed. So thankful you were so determined! You guys have such a special place in our hearts.
I love this picture of her! She definitely is an angel.
Post a Comment