Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day #112 - A Mother Who Read To Me

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a mother who read to me.
-- Strickland Gillilan

One of my favorite things to do with my children is to snuggle up with a good book and read aloud. If I can do that one-on-one, even better! Nowadays, I usually have to pair Eryn and Anna together to read chapter books. Our last read aloud was The Trumpet of the Swan which as such a fun read. Joseph is at the perfect age to read longer picture books. We have been reading some of my favorites like Christina Caterina and The Box, and A Birthday for Frances. Lily loves to lay in my bed and read. Whenever I lay her down for a nap she pats the pillow next to her and says, "read book." I can not think of anything more comfortable and sweet than to cuddle up with a child and a good book.

My mother loved to read aloud to her children. In fact I am so grateful for the memories I have of sitting next to her on the couch or at her feet as her rhythmic voice told many a memorable tale to me and my little sister. There are in fact, certain stories that I can not read without hearing my mother's voice telling them (Caps for Sale for example). I feel even more gratitude when I think about the fact that her mother (my Grandma Tolman) read to her. My grandmother was an amazing teacher to young children and was a beloved storyteller. The interesting thing about this is that I have read in old histories of my grandmother that her father read Shakespeare out loud to her. No wonder I love to read to my children so much. It practically runs in my family! :)

No comments: