
Lily is almost two years old and a few weeks ago, she got her first wheelchair (see more pictures and video here). A lot of people (including some of her doctors) have expressed doubt as to the need for her to be in a wheelchair at such a young age. We can still carry her and push her in a stroller, so why bother? Joel and I have felt strongly that any kind of aid that would make Lily's quality of life better is worth pursuing and using. In my mind I compare it to my three year old using a stool to reach the sink in the bathroom. Yes, we could lift him up every time he needed to reach it, then one day he would be tall enough to reach it on his own. But why not give him a tool that will allow for him to be more independent now?
It only takes seeing her in the wheelchair one time to realize what a gift it is for her, even at this young age. Her personality really comes alive when she is in it, I think because she is able to feel more confident and capable. She also is able to have a new independence in new surroundings (like church, the mall etc.). All of these things, in my opinion give her an opportunity for more normal experiences and lead to more normal development.
I am grateful for Lily's wheelchair. Joel and I can't help but beam with pride as we follow her around and encourage her to explore in it.
**I'm sharing gratitude every day on my blog for one full year! Read about The Gratitude Project and join me! It's not too late. :)
BONUS: Watch Lily bowl. Isn't this so precious?



7 comments:
Caleb turned into a totally different kid when he got his chair! He was so much more confident, social, independent, and he started talking like crazy!! Lily is a cutie!!
I love the glasses.
Meilani, I love your blog! I think your Gratitude Project is a great idea, and I've loved looking at your posts and seeing your great attitude about life. Your Lily sure is a cutie. It's fun seeing her in nursery and getting to know her personality more. (by the way, we're at nolandandcorie.blogspot.com)
I totally agree. Getting Nate his chair was one of the best decisions we have made. He is really enjoying getting into everything and exploring in a way he couldn't before. And it was like he learned how to use it literally overnight. Everyone is amazed. Our kids are truly amazing, aren't they? :)
Holy cow...watching the video is amazing. She seems like a totally different girl. I had no idea she was so coordinated with her hands. What a great gift you have given her. I love this gratitude idea..I need to do this more often as well. And thanks for the christmas card! First one I hav gotten of the season. Don't be looking for one from us. Too lazy this year. But I do love you and I am grateful for YOU!
Wow, love the bowling, so very cool! Madi got her first chair just before 2, and I agree, I would not have it any other way! It's made such a huge difference in her self-confidence and self-esteem!!
Meilani & fam,
I am really enjoying your Gratitude Project! Lily is so sweet & I love seeing her in her new chair and watch her bowling. Its precious. I wish I would have saw your blog when you started this & done it with you. What a fabulous idea! Who knows... maybe I'll start it up soon!
Post a Comment