Sunday, November 14, 2010

She Has Wheels!





After many long months of waiting, Lily finally has her wheelchair!!! Joel was unable to be there with us at Shriners because he had to be in Colorado for work. So. . . Lila was nice enough to come and give us some support for the big day.

The appointment lasted over two hours. Most of the time was spent getting her chair to fit her little body perfectly: the seat, the footrest, the buckles and belts, the wheel position etc. The wheelchair guys said that everything on her chair is as "mini" as it can go. We had to give her a lolly-pop to keep her happy while the experts got her fitted in the chair. Once we got everything in the perfect position, we let her take the chair out to the play area for some fun. I fully expected her to immediately do well at moving around. But I didn't expect her to move so freely and quickly. I have to admit that I surprised myself when I burst into tears seeing her really move for the first time. What a huge blessing it is for Lily to have this wheelchair at such a young age. This is only going to give her more opportunities for growth! Once the wheelchair specialists were pleased with how she looked in it, I got to learn how to adjust the chair for her and take the whole thing apart. Finally we were able to take it home.

Since coming home she has already used her wheelchair out and about in the neighborhood, to nursery, playing at Chuck E. Cheeze and the mall. It has been very exciting to see her move so well in her chair. She is obviously loving her new mobility and freedom. In fact, since getting the chair, we are noticing a more spunky side to her personality. She threw a total fit in the mall when we had to leave a store that she liked and kept trying to back her chair up into the store again. I could not overpower the strength of her arm hold on the tires. So I had to resort to chocolate to persuade her to let me push her out of the mall. I love that she has the ability to exert her independence. I guess this just means I am going to have to stock my purse with a lot more chocolate!!!

I hope that the multiple videos aren't too many. They are all very short. Each one is of Lily at Shriners.











11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah for Lily! I am so glad that that girl's got wheels! Watch out world. =0)

-Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Pume and the family

Heather Rae said...

That's so great! She is growing up too fast. Love how happy she looks now that she can get around so quickly.

Love you guys!

Cassie said...

Her first set of wheels!! So exciting. Caleb was 2 1/2 when he got his chair and it was life changing for him! She's a cutie.

Amy said...

"Here she comes, here comes speed racer; she's a demon on wheels..." Meilani, she is just getting so big and I am so excited for her and you. what a big step in her progress.

Linsey said...

Yea! That is so fantastic. She looks so happy and free.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

It's amazing how natural it is for her to use her wheels! What a blessing. She is so sweet. I love you guys!

heather said...

i'm so happy for her and for you! i would have burst into tears as well :)

Fowler family said...

What a cool wheelchair! I love the hot pink!

I have a friend that has questions about BYU-Hawaii's music program. If I remember right- your dad taught music/chorus there right? Could she email you with some questions?

Melanie Parker said...

Meilani, it is so wonderful to see her doing so well in her chair. What a blessing!

sarah sands said...

Meilani,

So fun to see your family. Thanks for the comment on our blog, I was following your blog, and then we moved and got a new computer and I lost track of everyone.

Looks like Lily is doing well! Congrats on the new chair! I am sure you are very busy mom! You are amazing! Take care! Sarah

Smiths said...

Thank you for keeping us updated. I'll say it- I'm thankful for blogs! It's so wonderful to see Lily doing such an amazing job in the wheelchair. I can't even imagine how it would feel to finally have the freedom and mobility. Awesome!