BYU HawaiiThese pictures could be enough to explain why I will forever be grateful for the beautiful place I grew up. I just want to share I few thoughts on the subject.
When I served my mission in Guatemala, I became very aware that the world is a big place. People I came into contact with there were in difficult circumstances: poverty, lack of good medical care, low education, etc. Many people would say to me, "You are lucky. You're from America. You're rich." That bothered me a lot. I never saw myself as "rich." But over time, as I thought about it, I realized that I was. I had running water, heated water, a beautiful home, a complete education, good medical care and so on. I loved the people of Guatemala so much and saw them as equal in the the eyes of the Lord. So, I asked myself, why was I so blessed to be placed where I was? It was then that I realized the blessings that were right in front of me that I took for granted all my life. It was then that I took my happy childhood in a beautiful, safe, carefree place as one of my greatest blessings in life.
Laie and Hawaii and BYUH have all become stores of memories and beautiful places I can go back to in my mind during difficult times. In fact I remember as a missionary closing my eyes at night after a long, hard day, and imagining myself walking up or down the path to BYUH with the palm trees swaying and the trade-winds blowing. It was not because I was homesick. It was a comfort to me. And to this day I can still feel the wind on my face, smell the air and hear the sounds as I would walk down that pathway.
On a final note. I was determined to raise my own children there in Laie and if not Laie, in Hawaii. But it was not meant to be for our family (which has ultimately been another blessing in disguise). One thing I have come to on this subject is this. Instead of feeling sad or bitter about not being able to raise my children there. I can feel a great measure of gratitude for the fact that I had so many years there. This brings me great joy and happiness.
When I served my mission in Guatemala, I became very aware that the world is a big place. People I came into contact with there were in difficult circumstances: poverty, lack of good medical care, low education, etc. Many people would say to me, "You are lucky. You're from America. You're rich." That bothered me a lot. I never saw myself as "rich." But over time, as I thought about it, I realized that I was. I had running water, heated water, a beautiful home, a complete education, good medical care and so on. I loved the people of Guatemala so much and saw them as equal in the the eyes of the Lord. So, I asked myself, why was I so blessed to be placed where I was? It was then that I realized the blessings that were right in front of me that I took for granted all my life. It was then that I took my happy childhood in a beautiful, safe, carefree place as one of my greatest blessings in life.
Laie and Hawaii and BYUH have all become stores of memories and beautiful places I can go back to in my mind during difficult times. In fact I remember as a missionary closing my eyes at night after a long, hard day, and imagining myself walking up or down the path to BYUH with the palm trees swaying and the trade-winds blowing. It was not because I was homesick. It was a comfort to me. And to this day I can still feel the wind on my face, smell the air and hear the sounds as I would walk down that pathway.
On a final note. I was determined to raise my own children there in Laie and if not Laie, in Hawaii. But it was not meant to be for our family (which has ultimately been another blessing in disguise). One thing I have come to on this subject is this. Instead of feeling sad or bitter about not being able to raise my children there. I can feel a great measure of gratitude for the fact that I had so many years there. This brings me great joy and happiness.






3 comments:
Is there a better place on earth to grow up? I vote no. Love Laie, just love it.
Amen Sistah! I am with you 100%. I too have gotten past the feelings of sadness over not raising our family in Hawaii. I realize there are many things you can take with you when you leave Laie, most importantly a profound feeling that the Lord blessed your life by allowing you to be raised in sure a spiritual, beautiful place!
As I have been on the job market for the third year in a row, applying for jobs everywhere, I know how you feel about Laie. I wonder how I have ended up here and not there, where I really want to be. For me it's perhaps more selfish, as much about wanting to live there myself as it is raising my kids there, although that is huge too. There are lots of beautiful places in the world, and we always make good friends where ever we end up, but there's just something about Laie.
Post a Comment