Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Day #352 - Opportunity to teach

Little Joseph asked me a heart-breaking question the other day. He said, "When Lily gets those casts off, will she stand up?". Basically he thought that maybe the casts were fixing her legs so that she could walk. I forget sometimes that he does not fully understand Lily's situation. The two big girls have a pretty good understanding. But up until now I haven't had to explain things to Joseph. I think I handled it fine. We discussed what her casts were for and also talked about the braces we are going to get to help her stand up. I let myself cry about it later. Sometimes I think it's okay to stop and realize what I am dealing with and to acknowledge my feelings. Then I just have to move on and try to be positive.

1 comment:

Dalynne said...

One of my nephews (he's 8 1/2, but high functioning autistic) keeps asking me when my legs won't be broken anymore. We keep telling him that they will be fixed when Jesus comes again. Yes, it makes me cry because I have to wait until then, but it's comforting to be able to explain that to him too :) Oh the innocence of youth!