Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day #345 - Dr. Sentora

We took Lily in today to have a check-up at Shriners. I was nervous about this appointment because I had to big requests and I hoped I wouldn't have to fight anybody for them. :) Luckily Joel came to back me up.

We waited an hour to see the doctor and in the mean time did an x-ray of Lily's hips (which looked good). Once we finally were able to speak with the doctor, we had him look at her feet. They have been turning in quite a bit lately and the left foot has given us reason for concern. Her club feet were fixed so well as a new baby, it has been a little disappointing to see them going back even with all of the bracing we have been doing. After consulting with Ortho at clinic we both agree that it would be a good idea to aggressively treat the problem (before things get worse). We asked Dr. Sentora if he would be willing to cast her feet again and he immediately said, "Deifinitely. That's a great idea. Why don't we do it right now." I was a little surprised that he wanted to do it and do it right away. But we were happy that he agreed with that course of action. I am also grateful that we can try to avoid surgery through the casting process again.

We talked about scheduling and changing out the casts and they were about to put us on the "club foot clinic track." This means we come in to less busy doctors on days when lots of club foot patients come in to be seen. We have been to this clinic twice and seen two different doctors. I expressed to Dr. Sentora that I do not like seeing the other doctors and we just want to see him. He kindly worked with us on this and freed up his schedule so that Lily could have her casts changed out by him and no one else.

The second request we had was that he write a prescription for long leg braces. Again he was happy to help and will write it up for her as soon as we straiten out her feet. That means that we will be setting her up for those braces (for standing and "walking") in Janurary. We are so excited and very grateful for Dr. Sentora.

4 comments:

Dalynne said...

I hope everything goes well with the casting and that Lily will not have to have surgery. Yay, for getting her ready for long leg braces! If it works out I'd love to come with you when she gets fitted for them. For moral support and to help show her the ropes so to speak. :) In the meantime I have been keeping you all in my prayers.

RATCH said...

I am so glad you have a Dr. Willing to listen to you as parents... That is so wonderful.

Dave and Kristin Dirkmaat said...

Wow- I am so happy that you found a great doctor! That really puts your mind at ease and makes u have a little peace!

BAK said...

I linked over from Heidikins. My son had a clubfoot when he was born - Dr. Santora at Shriners is like family to us! So glad you have him to watch over your Lily. We love that man!

Aren't kids amazing? Your daughter sounds like an absolute gem.