Sunday, February 8, 2009

Casting

Joseph asks to hold Lily every day.
He loves her so much and gives her kisses every chance he gets.

Lily's blessing day.

Isn't this so cute?? She smiled just as I snapped the shot. Her little casts go all the way up her legs. But they are placed to stretch her feet into correct positioning.

Here is a picture of her feet when she was a few weeks old.
I may post another picture later if I can get a hold of it.

The Orthopedic Specialist changed his mind about casting Lily's feet. He had originally thought she would not benefit from the process because her feet were a little stiff. But after consulting with other doctors he was encouraged to try because other similar cases have been successful. So we have jumped quickly into starting her casting. The process is a lot more involved than I would like. It requires weekly visits to replace casts for about six weeks, then about 3 months of wearing shoes with a bar connecting them for 23 hours a day. Then the shoes will be worn for nap and bed time up until she's maybe two years old. I have to keep telling myself that it is better for her life in the long run. I just can't help but feel a little sad for her and for me to have to deal with all of this.

4 comments:

heather said...

i'd feel bad/sad too...but that's you being a good mom. i love the smiling pic...she's adorable! i hope everything is going well getting settled into your own home.

Candyland Cafe said...

Nice hair cut, Meilani! I am so glad to know that Baby Lily is doing great! What a blessing! We surely miss you guys very much! Take care!

O'BRIEN FAMILY BLOG said...

meilani we had so many of those same plaster serial casts! in fact the very first set we saved and is hanging in saylors room. precious things!

Rebecca McAllister said...

She's just beautiful. I'm sorry for the extra stress... but thank Heaven for modern medicine, right?