Sunday, July 7, 2013

Summer So Far

Summer 2013 has been very nice so far. The best part has been having an open schedule. Each day the kids are doing chores, a little school work, exercising, and reading. They are each growing so fast. I have a feeling I won't have too many more unscheduled summers like this one.


We started the summer by celebrating Joel and Eryn's birthdays. Eryn had a cooking party with a few good friends. Joel ran the waffle station and I oversaw the cupcake decorating. The kids were all stuffed at the end of the party! This year Eryn has proven to be really responsible, a good friend and a great student. I love her very much!


A few days after school was out we went on a trip to California. Joel had a work conference that included some family activities, so we went along. We did one day at Disneyland and a day at the San Diego Safari Zoo. We swam in the pool quite a bit. I really think our family is the most happy when we swim and play together. It was a great trip.

We've had our share of doctor appointments and hospital visits already. Eryn had a check-up with her specialist in Urology towards the end of the school year and then again after our trip. (She is pictured below eating her traditional donut at the hospital cafeteria). We will go back again before school starts. She is doing very well. We are just working with her on some new schedules, skills and habits related to her bladder and kidneys. 


Lily's been in to Shriners for fittings for her braces. Hopefully we will bring home her HKFO's after her  three hour appointment this week and start working on some physical therapy again. I took Lily in to the Emergency Room last weekend. She had a high fever for about 5 days along with vomiting. We were concerned that she was not holding anything down and that she was getting dehydrated. She was so nauseated that she was dry heaving off and on throughout the day. Of course worries about her shunt were at the back of our minds. At one point the doctors insisted on examining her shunt through x-ray and c-scan, but tests were clear (phew!). They ended up keeping her overnight for observation and figured out that she had a virus called the Adenovirus. We were sent home the next day even though she was still feverish and nauseated, knowing she would improve within the next three days. Thankfully she has recovered and is feeling better. That whole thing was pretty rough on me. Thankfully family and friends gave us great support (as usual) through babysitting, meals, phone calls etc. I am always reminded how blessed we are when things like this happen.

P.S. We were back in to the dr. office again this week with a bladder infection. Now she's on antibiotics. Sometimes it feels like this stuff never ends. . . I'm glad she is cooperating and taking her medicine, though.

We made it up to one of my favorite places in Utah for family night last week: Silver Lake. Emily's family came with us for their first time. It was so relaxing, cool and beautiful. We also stopped at Hidden Falls on the way down the canyon. Utah's mountains really are so  beautiful! 

I've been doing weekly story hours for my kids this summer. I have always loved going to story hour at the library with my kids, but since moving to Utah it has been less appealing because of the large crowds. So, doing it on my own for my kids has become a nice way to keep the numbers small. I have also really enjoyed the opportunity to research, choose the books and prepare.

We celebrated the 4th of July very happily this year with swimming, 
a family BBQ and a neighborhood party. 

No comments: