Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day #67 - My Support Group

Yesterday Joel and I attended a board meeting for the Intermountain Spina Bifida Support Group. We have been on the board for a year now and have LOVED being involved.

Our first contact with this group was when I was pregnant with Lily. Some friends got us in touch with the Thornleys who were involved in the support group (now the Presidents/Chairs of the Board). We really wanted to talk to someone who had a child with spina bifida and we were also really interested in getting an idea of what it would be like to have our baby on the "mainland" (since we were considering it at the time). Julie gave me a whole run-down on every detail of her birth experience. It was so helpful to me to get a clear picture of how things would go. She also answered lots of my questions and more importantly identified with how I was feeling. Since then we moved here and have remained in contact.

Here are some of the things I love about being a part of this support group:
- I get to meet a lot of other families who deal with the same issues we do.
- Lily will know other kids who are like her.
- I can learn from other parents who have gone before!!
- My other children also get to see other families that are similar to theirs.
- Joel and I have an opportunity to serve and reach out to families dealing with spina bifida.
- There are so many great examples out there for Lily as well as for Joel and I as parents to follow!

I run the support group BLOG. Doing this has been a great blessing to me. I have really been able to learn a great deal in the process. I like to think of it as my own personal file of good news, ideas, inspiration and resources.

No comments: