Joel and I have decided that in the best interest of our family we are going to move to Utah. So when we go on the 24th of Nov. we will be going for good. It was a hard choice to make, for us, but we both feel really good about it. We feel more confident about the kind of family support and medical care we will receive there. We will miss our life here in Hawaii for sure, but it feels good to make a choice that makes sense for our situation. I look forward to living closer to some of you and especially my parents, my sister and Joel's brother and sister.
Because we are moving, we have been selling/giving away our stuff like crazy. We don't plan on taking anything but the irreplaceable. It is pretty sobering to look at all of the things you own that way. We really do keep a lot of things that we don't use or need. In that way it feels good to simplify.
We decided to hold a moving sale last Saturday (Nov. 1st) just to get rid of our stuff. And as it turns out we were blessed by a very special experience. A very sweet neighbor of ours took it upon herself (after getting our permission) to create a fundraiser out of our moving sale. She passed out flyers to all of our neighbors inviting them to donate items to be sold, and for all of the proceeds to go to the Kongaika family (to help us with our move and medical bills for our baby with spina bifida). The neighbors were all very helpful and supportive as well as our ward members. Lots of people brought items to be sold for the sale, and more came to buy things in support of our family. The sale was very successful, raising a sizable amount of money for us to use toward medical bills. More than that, we felt overwhelmed and extremely blessed by the kindness and generosity of others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
There is nothing like Aloha Spirit. Good luck with the move, that is a major undertaking, but I know your family and friends there will be thrilled to have you near.
Joel and Melanie,
I found your blog a couple of months ago and wanted you to know that you are in my prayers. Good luck with your move. Maybe when we are in Utah next we can visit.
It's such a blessing to have a good neighbors! I'm glad to hear that your garage sale was successful. I know we've made several attempts to get together before you leave but if we don't see each other, I pray all goes well with your family. I'll continue to follow your blog and keep in touch that way.
What a blessing. You deserve all the love and support you have and so much more. I can't wait for you guys to be in Utah, I am feeling your loss of moving from home and also your excitement to be doing what you know is best for your family. Let us know when you get here, we would love to see you.
Jocelyn wanted to call you at 5am your time this morning to express her excitement when I told her that you were moving to Utah. Luckily I talked her into waiting a few hours. We are all thrilled that we'll be "neighbors" again. Good luck with your move and your goodbye's. We love you guys!
i'm glad it went well...what a blessing! it was so good to see you guys last week, and the lunch was great :)
Wow, I'm so happy to hear how things are working out for you & your sweet little family. I'm glad you will soon be in UT closer to family & doctors. And how nice of your neighbors to help raise money & take care of things for you there. You are still in our thoughts & prayers always.
Much love,
Martha & family
Post a Comment