I love this photo of Lily. It really captures her happy, sweet personality.
A few days ago I was leaving the Dr.'s office with Lily. (She is on her 2nd UTI in a month and we were working with her labs. Bleh!) Side note: last time we were doing labs there, Lily made friends with a woman who has cancer, asking her why she doesn't have any hair. Sounds bad, but they had a very nice conversation and had quite a few people listening in.
Anyway, as we were going out of the building I took the opportunity to encourage Lily work on independence. I had her push the button for the door, push her wheelchair over the door thresholds and down the sidewalk and finally down the little ramp into the street. She needs encouragement but does it all very well. Now I am realizing she's old enough to learn street safety. So I had her look both ways and encouraged her to watch for cars pulling out in the parking lot. Just as we began moving through the lot a car showed signs of backing out. So I pointed the car out to Lily and she stopped and waited. The driver saw us and waved us on. So we went ahead and got safely to our car.
As I was about to load her into her seat, that same car pulled up and the man leaned over and called out, "Bless you little girl!" He shared that he has had to use a wheelchair off and on in his own life from the time he was young and wished her all the best.
Sometimes I forget what a bright little light I have for company all the time. She is a magnet for friendship and kindness.




1 comment:
So sweet and so true! I kinda feel the same way about you Meilani!
Post a Comment