We had Lily's wheelchair assessment at Shriner's a few weeks ago. It was so exciting to let her sit in the tiny trial chair and give it a try. Take a look!
On the subject of Lily's mobility. . .
As far as we can tell, Lily cannot feel or move her legs. She is 18 months old and doing so well. She is basically keeping up with her peers cognitively. But children her age are already running in circles around her. Joel and I want her to have more normal experiences, to be able to explore her world more freely and to be able to play outside. When she began pulling herself around on the floor we immediately saw an explosion in her language and development. We are convinced that mobility and independence is a huge key to her growth overall.
We have not given up on Lily's chances for walking with bracing. Although it may be slim chances, we will continue to work with her, preparing her for the opportunity. But, we refuse to let her development stall any longer. The bummer for us is that it will take until October 1st to get her chair. Who knew it took three months to get a wheelchair! Needless to say, we can not wait to get her in the little pink wheelchair we ordered. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



18 comments:
She looks so happy, just pure delight.
Adorable! She looks so happy to be moving around herself!
So sweet! What a cute girl! Looks like she's having a great time!
Hey Meilani. I commented on your family pix in Joel's facebook and he directed me to your blog!! I have spent the last hour reading and pouring over all your pictures and post!!! It is so wonderful to see you and your family!! I miss Emily and I haven't seen her in ions so it was great to see her and her family in your posts as well. It is so wonderful that you all are so close. What beautiful families you all have and it just made my day to see you all. Wow, your little family has had quite a year! Hope the rest gets a little more smooth sailing for you! Take care of you and yours and it was so wonderful to see how you've been! Love ya, Kim Christensen (Frederick)
This was the cutest thing I have ever seen!!! She is so amazing. I enjoyed hearing your voices on the video as well-took me back to some very happy memories. Love you guys.
okay that is about the cutest thing I have ever seen! So little! So happy.
I hope it continues to work out so well.
she looks so good and so happy. what a bummer that it takes so long to get a wheel chair. I didn't even know they made them that small. that's wonderful.
Lily's smile there was priceless! Made me smile! Loved hearing the warmth and joy in your voices too. Have I mentioned how much I looove that you have a blog? ;-) Hugs to the Kongaika's!
Yay for lily! I can also feel your excitment too! I hope the time flies by quickly for you. that is a long wait!
oh how exciting! She looks like she's having a ball! Sure miss you guys. Have fun with the Kanahele's next week!
Hi Meilani,
I just wanted to ask that you remove my post once you have the info. Didn't want to get all that personal info on the KKF foundation out too long. good luck!
~ Lane
Lane,
Are you Lane Crisler? I couldn't tell from the picture if that was you. Thank you for the info. on the wheelchair ramp. Joel and I are in "discussion" about the issue. He is all for putting one in ASAP. I think it's unnecessary until she is old enough to go places on her own, or until she is too heavy to carry. So far I am winning the argument by default. But we will see what happens. Does your friend have a website? Thanks again.
oh, goodness that is just so cute! i bet it's going to be a long three months waiting for it to come, and it's pink? way too cute!
She looks fabulous! Emylie tried a power wheelchair a couple weeks ago and there is nothing like seeing your child take their first step or first stroll in their chair. So glad to see how well she did!
Meilani,
Hi - yes, I am Lane Crisler. Sorry it took me a while to respond, I was out of town and not blogging. I think the KKF foundation has a website, but I'm not sure. I would contact them even if you are undecided. Since they specialize in ramps for children, it will probably help to just talk to them.
Good Luck
Seeing Lily's face light up with happiness and excitement to be mobile just brightened my day!!!
Thanks for sharing that video.
We love your family!
Aloha from Singapore!
The Webb Ohana
so so so darling. i remember this moment for us. very nostalgic for me! oht he steps. the sweet steps we take on this journey. happy anni too! you guys look so young. you know what this means ... cause i have been married 12 years that i look way older then i think i do in my head!
Post a Comment